The SagaBorn living campaign is a bit different then your normal TTRPG campaign. This is based on a West Marches style game (see more from Matt Colville https://youtu.be/oGAC-gBoX9k). We want to have many players, like 20-30. Players, when they want to adventure, form a group of six, picking from any of the other SoS players to form a 3-6 person group. They then decide where they want to venture, or what quest they want to fulfill off the Task Board. The group then petitions one of the GMs (Mike in the first couple of months) to make an adventure and they all schedule a time.
You are an adventurer because you feel a strong call in your bones to adventure. The boredom of a calm life doesn’t appeal to you – you are driven to leave behind the safety of civilization and explore the wilds to make your name. Regardless of what drives you, you are driven. You choose where to go and what to do. There will be a handful of obvious choices, but you don’t by any means need to take them. The adventure is in your hands.
- Players can suggest or join sessions on an at-will basis. There is no assumed set party – characters can adventure in many different groups.
- Each session is presumed to be self-contained. Players venture into the wild, find or are found by adventure, and return home each session.
- New characters start at level 1. Characters keep whatever gold and XP they earn from session to session, and characters may (until further notice) group with other characters of any level.
- Every character starts each session in Kowal. If characters have not returned home by the end of the session, they automatically return after play has ended.
- Exceptions from this rule can be made to accommodate longer adventures spanning over multiple sessions.
- The players decide where to go and what to do in advance.
- There is a shared world map, that’s potentially unreliable.